I want to be selfish for once. This space is about me. I can talk and think, uninterrupted. Might be of relevance... or maybe not.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

What really scares me

What really scares me is not the amount of damage inflicted to Lebanon.
It is not about the lost billions of dollars this summer from tourism.
It is not about destroyed bridges, airports and buildings.


My biggest fear came from conversations and discussions I had with friends who were still in Lebanon.
One family is going back to Canada, another one is heading back to France, Australia...and the list goes on and on.
Another friend who finally "established" himself in Lebanon, is now waiting for his visa.

We can rebuild bridges and buildings. We can gain back our "pearl of the middle east" title.

But the people who travel, we lose them forever. And it's the people who make Lebanon so special. It is their spirit, their enthusiasm, their vision and determination.

And this is what scares me. These people will leave, and only those who were prepared for the war ( ie Hizbolla and its supporters) will stay. And then Lebanon will never be the same again.

2 Comments:

Blogger _z. said...

isn't this part of the "plan" paul?

it's a pity!

2:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

11:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home