I want to be selfish for once. This space is about me. I can talk and think, uninterrupted. Might be of relevance... or maybe not.

Friday, September 29, 2006

Bruce Lee vs Jet Li



vs.




Place your bets.
One was a kung fu master. The other one is a Wushu master.
I know where my money is going.

Jet li has revolutionized the martial arts world with wushu expanding to over 55 countries in the last few years. Bruce Lee did the same with kung fu in the 70's and he should be accredited with introducing this fine art to the west.

However, Jet Li's impact goes beyond that. "Hero" and his recent "Fearless", are not just about martial arts. It is about Chinese traditions, amazing scenery, natural beauty and cultural heritage. It is about values, love and hate, instincts and discipline.

Of note, Hero is the best selling Chinese movie. It was re-produced by Quentin Tarantino for the US audience. Fearless, well, I am sure, will beat Hero, by far.

Fearless, unfortunately, might be Jet Li's last martial arts movie. He is 43, after all.

2 Comments:

Blogger _z. said...

I heard jet li is preparing a movie with Jackie chan. so it may not be his last afterall.

another thing, I saw fearless today, my friend (who is chinese) told me that Wushu is kung fu...

I am not sure fealess is better than hero though.

2:09 AM

 
Blogger Paul said...

well, I did hear that Jet li might be working on a new movie with Jackie chan, so you are right, it might not be his last movie. I would hate to see him in a commercial, hollywood type of movie though.
I feel Jet Li is more serious about his marial arts. He was into Wushu way before he became an actor. In fact, he did another movie (once upon a time in china) which is also about Wushu.
As for Wushu and Kung fu, well I am not an expert but my limited understanding is that they are not the same. Wushu has a different philosophy and the fighter has to be able to use 18 different martial art tools. (The Eighteen-Arms consist of: sabre, spear, sword, halberd, axe, battle axe, hook, fork, whip, mace, hammer, talon, trident-halberd, cudgel, long-handled spear, short cudgel, stick, and meteor hammer.)check out Jet li's official website, it's pretty cool! www.jetli.com.
Hero was GREAT, i loved it, fearless is better than great ???!just a bit more "down to earth" i guess.

3:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home