I want to be selfish for once. This space is about me. I can talk and think, uninterrupted. Might be of relevance... or maybe not.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

"I would rather live happy than die miserable"

Those were his exact words...

He felt it was lung cancer, he knew that he had to quit smoking. He simply wouldn't.
He didn't care; he was amazed he actually made it so far in life after all the crazy things he did in the past.
He actually wasn't worry much about that. Pain was his biggest complaint, his worst fear.
Sometimes, we need to stop and reconsider. Similar patient, admitted to the floor, who wants to go through chemo and radiotherapy. Through endless days of nausea, confusion and fevers. Holding on to the last breath of life, even if it is through a vent.

Refusing to be treated is not giving up. Just like not believing in god, it is always a harder decision than simply going with the flow.

I have to admit, this week was great for me. I cherished every moment I spent with those 2 people and their families. Great is not the right word, fulfillment, sense of accomplishing something, making a difference. At least, I hope so.

3 Comments:

Blogger Laila K said...

i'm happy for you :)

8:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dude,
glad to hear ur news. but i would opt to do what ur last patient asked for. man ayreh bel chemo w bel radio. esp if at the end of the day u know where it will lead. i think pain is the main issue we have to deal w, bas chemo after a while, becomes more torture for the patient and those who are around him than the actual disease.

4:11 AM

 
Blogger Eve said...

I knew someone like your first patient. good for him, but in a way bad for us... for the people who loved him.
I guess both cases are not that easy.
btw, thx for your comment on your blog :)

4:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home