I want to be selfish for once. This space is about me. I can talk and think, uninterrupted. Might be of relevance... or maybe not.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

"Our ambassador to the stars"

My mom used to sing me lullabies before I go to sleep. She would be putting me on a plane to dreamland.

This is not true; at least I don't remember it.

What I remember very well, is Fairuz.

She is my mother's voice at the end of the night. She is this voice in my head when I wake up in the morning, humming slowly like a national anthem. She is my imaginary friend, talking to me about love. She describes it with the most beautiful words, although with such a voice words have a different meaning. Her voice gives language a new perspective, soothing and warm.

She talks to me about Beauty, Friendship and Beirut.

She sings about god, lucky him, an angel from the skies.

Lebanese argue among each other about everything, literally. There is one thing they all agree upon though, it's her.

She is the last thing I listen at the end of the day, the first thing that intrudes my mind when I wake up. and everything in between.

4 Comments:

Blogger rouba said...

kifak inta?

2:05 AM

 
Blogger Laila K said...

Malla inta :P
her songs make me so sad and homesick when i listen to her here..but I cant help it

10:28 AM

 
Blogger Paul said...

How do I feel?
I have to spend 12 days in a row in the CV ICU.
But I feel great. I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I see Beirut this Sunday!
and yes Laila, she used to make feel so sad before, but it is more like a “bitter sweet symphony".
I saw her on stage twice in Beitteddine; full of charisma and charm...just great in every aspect. I love the fact that she doesn’t abuse her fame, kind of low profile, enigmatic.

10:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya allah ya paul..
ana kaman ..
when i go to the VA and on my way back.. and i cry..

Abbas(e)

8:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home